mobile sites, applications, widgets, and other interactive features that link to
information we collect from you through our websites, mobile applications, social
media forums, and other services, both offline and online, that link to, incorporate,
and the choices you have about how we use that information.
What information do we collect from you through the Services?
- Information You Provide: We collect any information that you voluntarily provide when you use the Services, such as when you register for an Alcon program or service, participate in a survey, provide a testimonial, order a product, or contact us with a question, comment, or request. The type of information that you provide is based on the specific function of the Service that you use or the Alcon program or service for which you register, and might include your name, mailing address, age, birth date, gender, email address, mobile phone number, information about your medical conditions, product usage and preferences.
- Precise Real-Time Location Information from Your Mobile Device: Our mobile applications may collect precise, real-time information about the location of your mobile device (e.g., through your device's global positioning system capability), but only with your express consent. Once you have consented to the collection of this information, you may adjust this consent by managing your Location Services preferences through the settings of your mobile device.
How Do We Use Your Information?
When you provide information to us through the Services, such as when you register for an Alcon program or service, we typically will explain at that point how we will use the information you provide. In addition to using the information we collect from you through the Services to deliver the programs, services, or products you request, we, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates, together and separately, may use that information for the following purposes:
- to generate and analyze statistics about your access to and use of the Services;
- to provide you with information about the Services, other Alcon products, programs, or services, any of your accounts, and required notices;
- to deliver targeted and other marketing communications, promotional materials, and opportunities to participate in polls or surveys that you request or that may be of interest to you; to better tailor the content offered through the Services to users' interests;
- to help us, our subsidiaries and affiliates within the Novartis global group, and our business partners better understand our audiences, evaluate user interest in the Services, improve the Services, and perform other market research activities;
- to customize your experience when using the Services, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements and content based on your interests; to prevent and detect fraud, infringement, and other potential misuse of the Services; and
- to protect Alcon's legal interests.
We may allow you to participate in competitions and prize draws and similar promotions,
and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules,
which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your personal
information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
We, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates and companies within the Novartis global group, together and separately, also may combine, aggregate, or anonymize any of the information collected from or about you through the Services, offline, or from any other source for any of these purposes.
When and to Whom Do We Disclose Your Information?
We, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates, and companies within the Novartis global group together and separately, may disclose the information you provide and the information automatically collected from or about you through the Services:
- to outside vendors, professional advisors, and companies that provide products and services, such as those that fulfill requests for information, answer telephone calls, administer specific programs or projects such as newsletters or competitions, assist in research and development, or deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or opportunities to participate in polls or surveys through the Services, third-party websites, or other forums or media; to business partners who sell, market, or offer products or services jointly with Alcon or with our subsidiaries or affiliates and companies within the Novartis global group;
- if you are a health care provider or consumer, to deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or products that may be of interest to you, where permitted by law;
- as required by law, such as to law enforcement, to health authorities to report possible adverse events, during government inspections or audits, as ordered or directed by courts or other governmental agencies, or in order to comply with a court order or other legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect legal rights or the security or integrity of the Services; protect your safety or the safety of others; investigate fraud, a breach of contract, or a violation of law; or respond to a government request;
- to third parties, advisors, and other entities to the extent reasonably necessary for development of or to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a corporate or commercial transaction, including a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of assets, including data related to such assets; and
- when not prohibited by applicable law from doing so without your express consent.
In addition, we may disclose reports containing aggregated or anonymized user information
to third parties.
Right of access, correction and objection
Whenever we process Personal Data, we take reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Data is kept accurate and up-to-date for the purposes for which it was collected. We will provide you with the ability to object to the processing of your Personal Data if such processing is not reasonably required for a legitimate business purpose as described in this policy or our compliance with law. In the case of electronic direct marketing, we will provide you with a method to opt out of receiving further marketing materials or with a method to opt in if required by law. If you wish to contact us regarding our use of your Personal Data or object to the processing of your Personal Data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you contact us, please note the name of the Website where you provided the information, as well as the specific information you would like us to correct, update or delete, plus a proper identification of you. Requests to delete personal data will be subject to any applicable legal and ethical reporting or document filing or retention obligations imposed on us.
Security and confidentiality
To ensure the security and confidentiality of Personal Data that we collect online, we use data networks protected, amongst others, by industry standard firewall and password protection. In the course of handling your Personal Data, we take measures reasonably designed to protect that information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Data transfer abroad
We are part of the Novartis Group which is a global group of companies and has databases in different countries, some of which are operated by the local Novartis Group Company, and some of which are operated by third parties on behalf of the local Novartis Group Company. We may transfer your data to one of the Group's databases outside your country of domicile, potentially including countries which may not require an adequate level of protection for your Personal Data compared with that provided in your country. However, Novartis has adopted Binding Corporate Rules, a system of principles, rules and tools, provided by European law, in an effort to ensure effective levels of data protection, in particular relating to transfers of personal information outside the EEA and Switzerland. Read more about your rights under the Novartis Binding Corporate Rules at http://www.novartis.com/corporate-responsibility/responsible-business-practices/ethics-governance-and-compliance/data-privacy.shtml .
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or other web accessing devices by our Services. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of our Services, which helps us to provide you with an enhanced experience when you browse our Services and also allows us to improve our Services.
The types of cookies we use and why we use them
- Direct you to the relevant sections of the Services.
- Make sure the Services deliver a consistent look across different browsers and devices.
- Enable complex areas of the Service to function.
- Track anonymised aggregate statistics about visits to the Services to help us improve Website performance.
In doing this, we may install cookies that collect the domain name of the user, the internet service provider, the operating system, and the date and time of access. We only use first party cookies. The generic types of cookies we use and their purpose are:
- First party cookies – cookies set by the website being visited by the user, ie. the website displayed in the browser window.
- Session cookies – cookies that expire at the end of a browser session, starting with the time when a user opens the browser window, and finishing when the user exits the browser.
- Persistent cookies – cookies that ‘persist’ in the device after the end of a browser session and therefore can allow the preferences or actions of the user to be remembered when the site is revisited.
Our third-party partners, hosting service provider and/or the web-analytical service
partner may collect data about your use of the Service because of these anonymised
internet tags/cookies, and may compose reports regarding the Service’s activity
for us. They may provide such information to other parties where specifically authorized
by us or if there is a legal requirement that they do so, or if they hire other
parties to process information on their behalf.
If you would like more information about web tags and cookies associated with online advertising or to opt out of third party collection of this information, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative website.
Using your browser settings to control and delete cookies
Most web browsers allow control of cookies through the browser settings. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, which will enable you to decide if you want to accept it or not. However, if you do not accept a cookie you may not be able to use all the functionality of your browser software. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to the delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Occasionally, we may use internet tags (also known as web-beacons, action tags, single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, invisible GIFs and 1-by-1 GIFs) and cookies in our Services. We may deploy these tags and cookies through a web analytical service partner, which may be located and store the respective information, including your IP address, in a foreign country. These tags and cookies are placed on different pages of the Services. We use this technology to measure the registered user’s responses to our sites, including how many times a page is opened and which information is consulted, as well as to evaluate your use of the Services.
Links to other sites